Sunday, 23rd of July 2017

Sunday, 23rd of July 2017

Located at Old City Hall in Bridgeton, this tablet commemorates the 250th anniversary of the founding of that city and the memory of its first settler, Richard Hancock. The tablet was dedicated on May 9, 1936 and reads thus:

 

RichardHancock

To Keep in Remembrance the Name of
Richard Hancock
1635 - 1689
A Founder of Fenwick's Colony
Surveyor General, 1676-1678
Deputy Surveyor General, 1678-1680
Chief Ranger of Marshes, Swamps, and Woods, 1676
A Magistrate of West New Jersey Under
The Government of the Duke of York, 1679
A Magistrate of Salem County, 1682
Member of the Assembly of West New Jersey, 1682
First Settler of Bridgeton
1685 - 1686
In Commemoration of the
Two Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary
Of the Founding of the City
This Tablet is Erected by the
Society of Colonial Wars
In the State of New Jersey
1936

 

 

The first recorded settlement of Bridgeton dates to 1685-1686, when Hancock erected a saw mill and workmen’s houses near the point where today’s Pine Street and East Broad Street intersect. The Lenni Lenape Indians had inhabited the region for thousands of years and were the neighbors of the small settlement around the mill.