Sunday, 24th of September 2017

Sunday, 24th of September 2017

The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey is committed to preserving the past for future generations.  We do this by providing grants for various projects and by placing memorials and tablets in locations around the state.

One of our goals is to place a monument or tablet in each of New Jersey's 21 counties.

1st Courthouse Somerset Co.

A tablet marking the site of the First Courthouse in Somerset County is set on a boulder near the Six Mile Run Reformed Church in Franklin Park, a small village six miles (thus Six Mile Run) southwest of

1910 - First Courthouse in Somerset County

second-courthouse

The site of the Second Courthouse of Somerset County, built in 1738, is marked by a tablet in the front-yard of a residence in Millstone. Erected by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey

1911 - Second Courthouse in Somerset County

On October 27, 1914, the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey dedicated a tablet commemorating the 250th anniversary of the settlement of Elizabeth Towne at St. John's Episcopal

1914 - Settlement of Elizabeth Towne

Hendrick Fisher

A tablet in remembrance of Hendrick Fisher was erected by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey at Kirkpatrick Chapel on the campus of Rutgers University (originally Queens

1916 - Hendrick Fisher

Elizabeth Carteret

The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey presented to the City of Elizabeth a portrait of Lady Elizabeth Carteret, wife of Sir George Carteret. The portrait was unveiled at the Elizabeth Free

1925 - Elizabeth Carteret

John Fenwick

On October 10, 1925, the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey dedicated a tablet at Old Salem County Courthouse in Salem to the memory of John Fenwick, founder of that city.

1925 - John Fenwick

Founding of Burlington

Sometimes referred to as "the Plymouth Rock of Burlington" this tablet, embedded in a boulder set inside a wrought-iron fence, overlooks the Delaware River in Burlington. The tablet, unveiled at a

1927 - Founding of Burlington

Lewis Morris

In 1928 the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey erected a tablet at St. Ann’s Episcopal Church in the Bronx to perpetuate the memory of Lewis Morris, the first Governor of New Jersey

1928 - Lewis Morris

George Scott

The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey dedicated a tablet in memory of Sir George Scott and some 200 of his followers on May 4, 1929. The tablet resides at St. Peter’s Church in Perth

1929 - Sir George Scott

Bicentennial of the Birth of George Washington

In 1932 the country celebrated the bicentennial of George Washington’s birth. The contributions to the celebration of the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey included a memorial gateway

1932 - Bicentennial of George Washington's Birth

Christ Church Parish

The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey has placed two tablets containing identical wording at Christ Church in New Brunswick. The tablets commemorate the organizing of Christ

1935 - Christ Church Parish

Richard Hancock

Located at Old City Hall in Bridgeton, this tablet commemorates the 250th anniversary of the founding of that city and the memory of its first settler, Richard Hancock. The tablet was dedicated on

1936 - Richard Hancock, Founding of Bridgeton

Settlement of the Swedes

The largest tablet placed by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey commemorates the 300th anniversary of the settlement of the Swedes on the Delaware, and is located at "Old Swedes"

1938 - Settlement of the Swedes

Governor Philip Carteret

Located at Trinity and St. Philip's Cathedral (named Trinity Church until its merger with St. Philip's in 1992) in Newark, this tablet commemorates the 275th anniversary of the granting, on February

1940 - Concessions & Agreements, Gov. Carteret

Huguenots on the Hackensack

The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey erected a granite cross in 1942 to honor the French Huguenots who settled along both sides of the Hackensack River in 1677 and who founded the city

1942 - Huguenots on the Hackensack

Monmouth Patent

The headquarters of the Monmouth County Historical Association in Freehold is home to a tablet commemorating the granting of the Monmouth Patent by Governor Richard Nicolls of New York.

1946 - Granting of the Monmouth Patent

Sussex County Courthouse

The Sussex County Courthouse in Newton is home to a tablet commemorating the establishment of Sussex County by Act of the Legislature on June 8, 1753; the setting up of the Court of General

1949 - Sussex County Courthouse

William Trent House

Dedicated by the Society of Colonial Wars on May 7, 1954, this tablet commemorates the William Trent House, built 1716-1719 near the falls of the Delaware River by William Trent, a wealthy merchant and

1954 - William Trent House

Nassau Hall

Incised into a block of one of the pillars of the Fitz-Randolph Gateway at Nassau Hall in Princeton is a commemoration of the 202nd anniversary of Nassau Hall, seat of the first legislature of the state of

1958 - Nassau Hall

St. Mary's Parish

Named for King William III, Prince of Orange and Nassau, Nassau Hall (or Old Nassau) is the oldest building at Princeton University (known until 1896 as the College of New Jersey). At the time

1962 - St. Mary's Parish

Colonial Iron Workers

A tablet and a memorial bench, both dedicated by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey on November 4, 1967, overlook the upper-gardens at Ringwood Manor, located within Ringwood

1967 - Colonial Iron Workers

Province Line Road

In 1971 the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey erected a bronze tablet, embedded in a large piece of granite, at the intersection of Route 518 and Province Line Road between the

1971 - Province Line Road

The Black Watch

The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey on July 6, 1997 joined with the Black Watch Council of Ticonderoga and the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New York to dedicate a monument

1997 - The Black Watch

William Franklin Letter

On March 22, 2002 the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey presented to the Proprietary House in Perth Amboy a letter written by former colonial Governor William Franklin. In the 1781 letter,

2002 - William Franklin Letter

Dutch Kast, Morven Museum & Garden

In 2005 the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey presented a rare and valuable antique kast (from the Dutch word kasten meaning "cupboard") to Morven Museum & Garden in Princeton.

2005 - Dutch Kast, Morven Museum & Garden

Old Barracks Anniversary

A tablet honoring the memory of Wilbur Fisk Sadler, Jr. and also commemorating the 250th anniversary of the constructing of the Old Barracks was dedicated at the Old Barracks in Trenton by the Society of

2010 - Old Barracks Anniversary

Queens College, Frederick Frelinghuysen

The first classes at Queen’s College (Rutgers University) were held in November of 1771 at a former tavern, The Sign of the Red Lion, located at the northeast corner of Albany and Neilson

2012 - Queens College, Frederick Frelinghuysen

Lewis Morris

In 1928 the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey erected a tablet at St. Ann’s Episcopal Church in the Bronx to perpetuate the memory of Lewis Morris, the first Governor of New Jersey

2012 - Lewis Morris

Oxford Furnace

Built in 1741-42 by Jonathan Robeson in partnership with the Shippen Family on land that would eventually encompass approximately 4,000 acres including iron ore, limestone, wood, and water resources

2013 - Oxford Furnace

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church

New Jersey’s oldest Lutheran Congregation’s first service was conducted on August 1, 1714, by the Reverend Justus Falckner, the first Protestant minister ordained in America. It was held in

2014 - Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church